Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Vegan Banana Bread

I've been searching for a good vegan banana bread recipe for some time now and I think I found one I like! I found the recipe here and am actually looking forward to trying some of her other recipes as well. Today while Bailey was at school, my little baker and I made a couple of loaves and they are really delicious!

Dairy, Egg and Nut Free Banana Bread

Make sure your bananas are nicely browned, because very ripe bananas produce the best breads. Make one for now, and freeze the other for later.
Yield: 2 loaves


1/2 cup dairy-free margarine
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana
3 tablespoons water
2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup dairy-free buttermilk (1 c. of soy milk mixed with 1 T. vinegar. Let sit 5-10 minutes)
Preheat oven to 350ºF, and spray two 8-inch baking pans with dairy-free baking spray.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine margarine, sugar, bananas, and water. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder with a wire whisk.
Alternate the flour mixture with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Pour into prepared pans, and bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until cake tester comes clean.


Cool completely before slicing

No comments: