Sunday, February 21, 2010

"Peanut Butter" Cookies

I'm just loving this "The Food Allergy Mama's Baking Book" by Kelly Rudnicki book! (along with her website too!) We made apple muffins last week that were quite delicious and today the kids and I made soy nut cookies. Daddy and the kids just loved them!

Soy Nut Butter Cookies

1/2 c dairy-free shortening (i used earth's balance)
1/2 c creamy soy nut butter (i used I.M. Heathy)
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
11/2 c flour
1/2 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, thoroughly combine the shortening, soy nut butter, sugars and applesauce. In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt with a wire whisk. Add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture and stir until just combined. Chill the dough for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using your hands, shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place the balls onto the baking sheets. Dip a fork into some flour (i used sugar) and press the fork tines into each dough twice, making a crisscross design. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until light brown. Cool completely on the baking sheets.

Note: I cooked them for 12 minutes and they were toasty brown. Check at 10 minutes. We also added 1/2 c Enjoy Life chocolate chips.

2 comments:

Riva said...

So, did they actually taste like peanut butter cookies? Just curious.

sherri said...

I have a pre-schooler I see who has peanut allergy. His mom says she found some ready-made foods that she likes called "Udi" brand. Have you heard of it?