Sunday, August 17, 2008

Tostadas!

Today we had tostadas for dinner. They were DELICIOUS! Probably because I ate something fried, but I put a lot of tomato salsa and cabbage on top so it was kinda healthy?! :) Bailey LOVED them. She ate seven! Don't worry, they were mini tostadas. I'm writing about them because I thought they were so cute. I cut the tortillas with a flower cookie cutter before I fried them for easy eating. Just perfect for little hands!


Didn't break out my camera until number 4 or so. Yeh, not a great photo of Daddy...sorry.


Not a great shot, but you get the idea. This was number five!

Tostadas

Tortilla Layer: Fry tortilla in oil until crispy. Drain well and lightly salt.

Bean Layer: Heat a can of refried beans in the microwave. Preferably fat free

Chicken Layer: Boil or roast one whole chicken. Shred meat. Cook 1/2 chopped onion in a little olive oil. Add chicken, about a cup of chicken broth, about 2-3 t chili powder and salt and pepper to taste.

Salsa Layer: Chop 4-5 tomatoes, 1/2 of a small red onion, a small handful of cilantro and 1/2 can of jalapenos (I usually use fresh, but I'm afraid of salmonella at the moment), salt and pepper to taste.

Cabbage Layer: Thinly sliced cabbage. Lettuce is better, but I had cabbage in the fridge I needed to use up

Fat Free Sour Cream Layer: Drizzle on top

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute idea for kids! I'd eat 8 too!